Transit Time is the overall time required for a shipment to be transported from any of Shipbob’s fulfillment centers to its delivery destination. The average time in transit varies depending on the shipping zone and carrier service selected.
Shipping costs are applied based on the shipping method used as well as the shipping zone (Shipping zone charts by fulfillment center) and weight/dimensions of the package.
Guaranteed Delivery: Most carriers do not guarantee a delivery date for standard shipments. Delivery dates are subject to change and in most cases, tracking will update to reflect the new estimated delivery date.
A note on expedited and 2 Day orders (11/6/2020):
- As you may have seen in the news, all carriers (UPS, FedEx, and USPS) are bracing for the biggest ever holiday season, which also has new challenges given the pandemic. Thus, the carriers have suspended all of their service guarantees on delivery time frames. We at ShipBob are dependent on the carriers to deliver on time, and given all carriers have suspended their SLAs, we have to adjust our SLAs as well. With record volumes flowing through their networks, we are also anticipating carriers to be extremely backlogged to process shipments.
- We want to make sure we perform to our high level of standards when it comes to 2 day or expedited delivery options, so we will be guaranteeing that any expedited or ShipBob 2 day orders that come in before noon local time get fulfilled and labeled by 6 pm local time the same day, so the carriers can pick up the order that day as well.
- If we fail to label the shipment by 6 pm local time, we will refund the full fulfillment cost for the shipment.
- Effective November 9, until further notice: For any expedited or ShipBob 2 day orders that come in before noon local time and get labeled by 6 pm local time the same day but are not delivered by the carriers on time, we will not refund those shipments, as we are unable to hold the carriers to their SLAs.
What can I tell my customers?
We do not recommend listing average transit times as guaranteed time frames for standard shipments. Carrier delays can occur without warning and these shipments are not refunded.
General transit time estimates:
- Standard carrier options (domestic): 4-7 business days
- Standard carrier options (international) 7-30 business days
- Priority carrier options (domestic): 3-5 business days
- Expedited carrier options (domestic): 2-4 business days
- Expedited carrier options (international): 4-12 business days
Carrier types and services:
- First class: For USPS shipments under 1lb only. Packages usually arrive at their domestic destination within 1-3 business days depending on the shipping zone.
- Priority: For USPS shipments over 1lb or if Priority is selected. Packages usually arrive at their domestic destination within 1-3 business days depending on the shipping zone.
- Mail Innovations: UPS Mail Innovations works in conjunction with USPS. Packages are processed and transferred to the U.S. Postal Service within 48 hours. USPS will then deliver the shipment within 3-5 business days, on average. Shipments to Alaska, Hawaii, or international will take over 7 business days. International shipments can take 2-3 weeks for final delivery and tracking information may be limited.
- Surepost: UPS Surepost is an economy service that works in conjunction with USPS. Estimated delivery of 5-7 business days within the U.S. Transferring to USPS for final delivery can add an additional 1-2 days of processing time.
- Ground: Estimated delivery of 5-7 business days within the U.S. and up to 2 weeks internationally. For international shipments, a commercial invoice from the merchant’s online store is required for customs clearance.
- 2-Day: 2 business day delivery from UPS pickup date for domestic shipments.
- Overnight: 1 business day delivery from UPS pickup date for domestic shipments.
- No overnight options are available for international shipments.
- No overnight options are available for orders placed on weekends. Overnight Orders placed on Thursday afternoon will arrive on Monday.
- DHL Global Mail / eCommerce: Estimated delivery of 5-7 business days within the U.S. and up to 2-3 weeks internationally. Tracking information may be limited to certain destinations.
- DHL Max: 3-5 business days in the U.S. and up to 2 weeks internationally. Packages are transferred to USPS for final delivery which may add an extra 1-2 days to total transit time.
- DHL Express: International Only. 4-12 business days. A commercial invoice from the merchant’s online store is required for customs clearance.
International only. A comparable alternative to DHL global mail. Transit times can range from 1-3 weeks and tracking information may be limited for certain destinations.
- Ground: Cost-effective, on-time delivery in 1 to 7 business days.
- Home Delivery: 1–5 business days within the contiguous U.S., 3−7 business days to and from Alaska and Hawaii.
- 2Day: Door-to-door delivery in 1 to 2 business days by 5 p.m. to businesses and by 8 p.m. to residences.
- Standard Overnight: Door-to-door, next business day to businesses by 5 p.m. and by 8 p.m. to residences.
- Priority Overnight: Door-to-door, next-business-day, morning delivery.
- Smart Post: Typically 2–7 business days based on the distance to your destination.
Recommended Ship Option Settings:
Domestic Settings (lowest rate)
To ensure the lowest available rate is chosen, you can set ship options to “Standard” with no particular carrier option selected. With all carrier options available, the system will default to the lowest available option in each case. “Standard” is the only ship option that guarantees the rate listed on the standard pricing sheet.
For international shipping, we highly recommend setting ship options to “Standard” or “Expedited” depending on the required time frame for delivery. There are currently no “Overnight” services available for orders shipping internationally so "Expedited" would be the quickest method while "Standard" would be the most cost-effective.
Shipping to all destinations worldwide involves a lot of variation and we are not currently set up to predict case by case situations. When “Standard” or “Expedited” is selected, the system will default to the lowest available option in each case. Some destinations will have more available options than others.