For each inventory item, you can set a default action for returned items. Available actions are:
Note: If you do not set an action for a given item, it will automatically default to restock.
From the ShipBob dashboard click Inventory >> Products, then click the relevant Inventory ID.
Scroll down to Return Preferences panel. From the top drop-down, choose the relevant return action. Note: For apparel, we highly recommend selecting the quarantine or dispose options due to the difficulty of inspecting each garment accurately for wear and tear.
For restock requests, you will also be asked to set the following:
- Backup Action: If an item fails inspection instructions, it will be subject to a “backup action” - either quarantine or dispose. This can be set on a per-inventory item basis, ONLY for restock requests. If you do not set a backup action, the default will be to quarntine the item failing inspection.
- Instructions: The instructions you would like our staff to follow when inspecting a return. We recommend 1-2 step inspections. Read more about what is included in ShipBob's standard processing fees.
- If you have complicated or detailed inspection steps, ShipBob reserves the right to change your returns processing fee.
- If you do not set inspection instructions, the return will be inspected and restocked at the discretion of our receiving team
- Vague or confusing instructions will likely not be followed to the merchant’s satisfaction. It is wise to keep instructions clear and concise - the ShipBob FC associate will have to “confirm” steps have been followed.
Once finished, click Save.
All quarantined items will be converted to a single product and will show on your ShipBob dashboard as follows: Quarantine_CompanyName.
- Quarantined items will not be picked for future outbound orders, but can be requested to be sent back to you, or another location, by placing a B2B Order for the quarantine item (with your company name in place of “CompanyName”).
- Each merchant can have 1 or more quarantine locations per fulfillment center, and will be charged the appropriate storage fee for these locations.
We highly recommend removing quarantined inventory at least every 30 days.