To help you understand the optimal locations to store your inventory, we created a free, downloadable Inventory Distribution Calculator in Excel. With this Excel tool, you can add your items, inventory quantities, and order history (including customer zip codes and items shipped there). These inputs are used to automatically calculate insights on how to distribute your inventory.
How to access the calculator
You can download the tool at any time here. Simply click the "Download" button in the top right corner and select "Direct download." Then, follow the instructions in the first tab of the spreadsheet.
Watch the following video for step-by-step instructions on importing sales data, testing different potential locations, and calculating recommended inventory counts and percentages by location.
How to use the calculator
1. Make sure to read the Instructions tab thoroughly.
2. For the Order History tab, you will need:
- The destination zip code of where a given order was sent
- What items are contained in a given order
- The quantity of each item
In the ShipBob dashboard, you can find this information by navigating to Reports, then Advanced Reporting. Under the Split Inventory tab, select Forecast Inventory Distribution and download the Excel report.
3. Select all of the destination zip codes in the Forecast Inventory Distribution report by pressing Control+Shift and the down arrow. Then, copy the column and paste as values back into the Order History sheet.
4. Next, go back and copy the items associated with those orders. Select all by pressing Control+Shift and the down arrow, copy, and paste as values into the Order History sheet.
5. Next, go back and copy the quantity of each one of the items that was sent out. Paste this information as values into the Order History sheet.
6. Click on the Inventory Details sheet. To find the data for the Inventory Details sheet in the ShipBob dashboard, go to Inventory, select Product, then click Download Complete Inventory. This will download an Excel sheet.
7. In the Complete Inventory sheet downloaded from the dashboard, copy the title of each SKU as well as the quantity on hand. Paste this information into the Inventory Details sheet as values.
8. Click on the Configuration sheet. This sheet has already calculated an inventory distribution percentage for the fulfillment centers that we selected, as well as how many units of each item should be in each facility.
9. You can experiment with selecting different fulfillment centers. Based on the fulfillment center locations you select, you will see updated distribution percentages by these regions, as well as how much inventory should be sent there.