Here is the complete guide to integrating your Shopify store with ShipBob. It includes:
- How to integrate your Shopify Store with ShipBob
- How to choose a Fulfillment Service for each Shopify SKU
- How to check your Shopify fulfillment service settings
- How to set up automatic fulfillment in Shopify
- Which products will Shopify fulfill from my Shopify account?
Important: Please make sure you correctly map all products or product variants on Shopify and mark all items you do not want ShipBob to fulfill as ‘Digital' on the ShipBob web app, as we will continue to attempt to fulfill all products in your orders.
Note (11/2018): Shopify is rolling out an update that may affect the terminology in your Shopify account. For the purpose of these instructions, under Shopify > Products in your Shopify account, the“Fulfillment Service” and “Inventory” are interchangeable, as are “Manual” and “Shopify.”
1. How to integrate your Shopify store with ShipBob
Shopify has updated their API affecting all fulfillment integrations, including ShipBob. All products in a Shopify store must be mapped with a Fulfillment Service.
Without a Fulfillment Service mapped to your products, we will be unable to accurately upload tracking to your orders and mark them as fulfilled.
To prevent any issues, please follow the below instructions.
- Sign into your ShipBob account, then go to ‘Quick Setup’ on the bottom left corner of the dashboard.
- Click ‘Step 1: Store Integration’ and select Shopify.
- Insert your store name, then click ‘Link Store.’
- You will be redirected to Shopify, where you will need to approve the installation of the ShipBob app. Note: if you are not yet logged in to your Shopify account on the browser, you will first need to log in.
- You will automatically be redirected back to your ShipBob account. You will see a list of all fulfillment services from your Shopify account and you will need to choose one to map your products from Shopify to ShipBob. Do not choose ‘Manual,’ a fulfillment service you created manually, or a fulfillment service created by a different fulfillment provider. You will have an option for ShipBob to create one for you, which we recommend to ensure seamless fulfillment.
If you choose to have ShipBob create one for you, we will create a Fulfillment Service on your Shopify account following this naming convention: ‘ShipBobFulfillment-XXXXX.’
Learn more on how to map products to fulfillment services on Shopify here.
You can see which Fulfillment Service(s) ShipBob has created for each Shopfiy integration by going to your ShipBob account and clicking Your Account > Store Management > Fulfillment Service.
NOTE: If you delete the ShipBob app from your Shopify account, you will no longer see the ShipBob-created Fulfillment Service in your Shopify account.
2. How to choose a Fulfillment Service for each Shopify SKU
- Go to Shopify > Products.
- On the page for each product (or product variant), find the Fulfillment Service dropdown and select the Fulfillment Service created on the ShipBob app. Reminder: You can see which Fulfillment Service(s) ShipBob has created for each Shopfiy integration by going to your ShipBob account and clicking Your Account > Store Management > Fulfillment Service.
- Do this for each product or product variant you want ShipBob to fulfill. ShipBob will fulfill products with any Fulfillment Service assigned, but will only be able to upload tracking correctly for products with the ShipBob Fulfillment Service (“ShipBobFulfillment-XXXXX”) assigned.
- Be sure to mark all items you do not want ShipBob to fulfill as ‘Digital’ on the ShipBob web app, as we will continue to attempt to fulfill all products in your orders.
NOTE: ShipBob will not be able to upload tracking for any orders that have products with Fulfillment Services created by any other 3PL.
Bulk editing: To select the Fulfillment Service for more than one product at once, follow these instructions from Shopify for bulk editing products. This is the fastest way to complete the update if you have several SKUs.
3. How to check your Shopify fulfillment service settings
This tool shows which fulfillment service option is applied to each product.
Here’s how to use it:
- At the top of the page, enter the email address and user key emailed to you on 8/13. If you are a new ShipBob merchant, or do not know your email and user key, reach out to email@example.com.
- Select your Shopify store from the dropdown menu.
- On the left, you should see ShipBob under fulfillment services. If not, you need to assign ShipBob as a fulfillment service within Shopify to each of the products you want ShipBob to fulfill.
- If ShipBob is listed as a fulfillment service, click on it. You should see all of the products that ShipBob is set to fulfill on the right. If there are any products missing from that list, it means that ShipBob is not assigned to fulfill those products. Follow the steps below to update the fulfillment service for those products in Shopify.
- Please confirm that you choose the correct Fulfillment Service that you mapped to ShipBob by going to your ShipBob account and clicking Your Account > Store Management > Fulfillment Service.
4. How to set up automatic fulfillment by ShipBob
Note: When enabling Auto Fulfill on Shopify, all products or product variants with Fulfillment Service set as ‘Manual’ or that you created manually on Shopify will be marked as fulfilled once an order is paid for by your customer.
- Go to Shopify > Settings > Checkout > Order Processing > After an order has been paid. Mark the option ‘Automatically fulfill the order‘s line items.’
- Optionally, you may select ‘Notify customers of their shipment.’
Important note: Once you turn on automatic fulfillment, ShipBob will only pull products from orders that have the fulfillment service marked as ‘ShipBob.’
Any products that have the Fulfillment Service marked as Manual or a Fulfillment Service you manually created will automatically be marked as fulfilled by Shopify and ShipBob will not be able to fulfill this item.
Which products will ShipBob fulfill from my Shopify account?
1. For Merchants that use the automatic fulfillment service in Shopify:
- ShipBob will only fulfill products with the ShipBob Fulfillment Service (‘’ShipBobFulfillment-XXXX’) assigned on Shopify.
- Orders will automatically be set to “Partially Fulfilled” or “Pending Fulfillment”, and ShipBob will pull and fulfill all fulfillments mapped to ShipBob.
2. If you do not use the automatic fulfillment service in Shopify:
On your Shopify orders page or in the header of each order, you will see a Financial Status and a Fulfillment Status.
- Financial Status should be “Paid” status, all other financial status orders will be ignored.
- Fulfillment Status should be “Unfulfilled” or “Partially Fulfilled” or “Pending Fulfillment”.
- Statuses that will not be imported to ShipBob, and therefore not fulfilled:
- Archived orders
- Draft (Open) orders
- Fulfilled orders