Dangerous goods or hazardous goods are solids, liquids, or gases that can harm people, other living organisms, property, or the environment.
The transportation regulations for US domestic movement, Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), identifies the requirements for shipping hazardous materials. Section 171.1 of 49 CFR outlines the applicability of Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) to persons and functions. Reference number 171.1(g) identifies the potential fines related to violations of the regulations:
Penalties for noncompliance
Each person who knowingly violates a requirement of the Federal hazardous material transportation law, an order issued under Federal hazardous material transportation law, subchapter A of this chapter, or a special permit or approval issued under subchapter A or C of this chapter is liable for a civil penalty of not more than $75,000 for each violation, except the maximum civil penalty is $175,000 if the violation results in death, serious illness or severe injury to any person or substantial destruction of property. There is no minimum civil penalty, except for a minimum civil penalty of $450 for a violation relating to training.
Dangerous Goods and ShipBob
The ability to mark an item as "Dangerous Goods" has been implemented in the ShipBob dashboard to comply with all regulations mentioned above.
- For dangerous goods, ShipBob will not ship items internationally, expedited, or via air transport.
- Currently, ShipBob only ships DG items using DHL.
- International orders containing DG products will move to on-hold status and will not be fulfilled.
- Merchants that are part of ShipBob's Growth plan are not eligible to ship DG.
Mark Items as Dangerous Goods:
1. On the ShipBob dashboard side menu, click on Inventory and then click Products.
2. Click the Product ID number you would like to mark as dangerous goods.
3. From the product details page, scroll down to Fulfillment Information panel. Mark the checkbox stating: This is classified as dangerous goods.
4. Once you mark the product as dangerous goods, you will need to upload an MSDS file. Click Upload New MSDS, and attach the file.
How will the orders be shipped?
ShipBob cannot ship orders containing dangerous goods via prepaid labels. All orders containing dangerous goods must be shipped with ShipBob labels in accordance with the following guidelines:
Any order for an item that is marked as a dangerous good will be considered HAZMAT and will be restricted to carrier services that support dangerous goods. No international orders will be fulfilled by ShipBob and domestic single shipments cannot exceed the weight/dimensions pictured below.
Supported carriers, Dimensions, and Weight:
DHL eCommerce Parcels GroundDomestic
Please be aware that occasionally carriers will apply a surcharge to orders containing dangerous goods. This surcharge will be added to the total fulfillment cost of the order.